Saturday, February 03, 2007

Application Journey

I talk alot on this blog about applying for scholarships and awards. It seems like a simple idea - fill out application, put in envelope, seal, stamp and mail. I wish it could be that easy. A few weeks ago I completed my application for the Canada-China Scholars' Exchange Program (CCSEP). Though must applications are not this complicated, I thought I would share what it took to put this particular one together.

First, there is the application itself. Though often applications like this one are generally clearly laid out, it takes time to fill in all the blanks and ensure that all information is accurate, clear, and error free.

Next, most applications call for either a statement of research or, in this particular case, a study plan.
Then, there are the recommendation letters that must be collected from 2-3 professors.

In addition, one needs transcripts of all post-secondary education and for me this means 3 institutions. The requests take approximately 2 weeks, so planning to complete an application must start well in advance.

For the CCSEP I was also required to complete a medical and have a chest x-ray done (not normally done for an application, but China has a few variations).

The CCSEP also requires that 5 copies of each document be submitted and all must be official - this requires the applicant (in this case me) to either request 5 official copies or to have 4 copies of an original notarized. I can only thank my stars that my landlady is a police officer and was kind enough to notarize all the copies for me, otherwise the cost of the application goes through the roof.

Once all pieces are obtained, it is necessary to check and double check that nothing has been missed and that all components are completed to their fullest. It then is possible to saunter over to the local post office and send the package off with a sigh and a cross of the fingers that all this work will actually lead to an award being granted.

Though there are variations to each application, all are complex and time consuming. So, the next time you read about me working on a scholarship or award application you can share in the challenge of what such an event means.

No comments: