Saturday, April 07, 2007

SCHOOL IS

OUT

After 7 months the first stage of my PhD studies is wrapping up. April 5th was the last day of class and, as I tie up the loose ends to my final policy paper, I am taking a moment to reflect on what I will have accomplished by the time I depart for China on May 8th:

15 papers - written
4 powerpoint - designed and presentation
3 modules - designed and wrote
3 scholarship applications - submitted
1 scholarship - won
3 conferences - presented at
2 social presentations - given
2 trips to Beijing and
1 trip to Hangzhou and
1 trip to Omaha and
1 trip to Prince George
3 trips to Vancouver
1 marathon - trained and ran
2 half marathons - trained and ran

It has been a very interesting and rewarding journey the success of which has been dependent upon a number of key things:

hours spent on msn and skype with Mike
more hours spent on the phone with Dad
laughter and the building of memories with Jean, Jen, and Nina (and Dina-the cat)
the amazing friendship of my cousin Michelle, and friends Dirk and Gigi, Ron, and Dwayne
inspirations and running support from James, Katherine W., and all those in China (Andre, Peter, Mikael, David...etc)
the incredible support of my supervisor Jessica
and the faculty and staff (Katherine and Sandra!!)
finding the humor in statistics with my 4 colleagues
the knowledge that others were enduring similar challenges balancing life, work, school
(David B. - good to know you were out there too)


late, late, late nights
copious amounts of coffee
a very comfortable chair
the reliablity of my Dell


From wondering what I was doing here to a renewed excitment in academics, this has been a journey with much to be remembered.

No comments: